Jenny Angelillo spent her life on stage which, according to her, both ruined and saved her life. She's the lead singer for punk band Neighborhood Brats, and previously was a ballerina, an esthetician and a MFA creative photographer. Vice Magazine called her the female Henry Rollins. She can "rip the hair off your crotch in 15 minutes."
Jenny talks about how she got into punk from ballet ("I'm really just a dancer who can yell loudly"), growing up in a stressful household, and how she recovered when her soul took a stage dive by no longer filling the gap inside her with substances, men, or music."
Be sure to join the conversation about this episode by visiting the GBA Reddit community.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Spirit Rock Meditation Center
- KXLU 88.9
- María Lionza: Possessions in Venezuela
- Multiple Sclerosis
- The Lusty Lady “The world’s only unionized worker owned peep show co op”
- Olympia Dukakis in Moonstruck
- George Balanchine
- Vivienne Westwood
- Betsy Johnson
- Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business, Charles Duhigg
- Stephen Stills “Love the one you’re with”
- “What a piece of work is man” Shakespeare’s Hamlet